The old Gorakhpur History, notwithstanding current, involved the regions of Basti, Deoria, Azamgarh, and parts of Nepal Tarai. This area, which might be called Gorakhpur Janpad, had been a significant focal point of Aryan culture and progress.
Gorakhpur was a piece of the celebrated realm of Koshal, one of sixteen mahajanpadas in the sixth Century B.C. The most punctual realized ruler administering over this area with his capital at Ayodhya was IKSVAKU, who established the sunlight based administration of Kshatriya. It created various illustratious lords till the promotion of Ram, who was the best leader of this administration. From that point forward, it remained a fundamental piece of the recent domains of Maurya, Shunga, Kushana , Gupta and Harsha lines. As per convention, the Tharu lord, Mausen of Madan Singh (900-950 A.D.) governed over Gorakhpur city and the abutting region.
In middle age period, when the whole northern India lay prostrate before the Muslim ruler, Mohammad Ghori, the Gorakhpur locale was not forgotten about. For a more extended period it stayed under the influence of the muslim rulers, from Qutub-Ud-Din Aibak to Bahadur Shah.Tradition has it that Ala-ud- racket Khilji (1296-1316) requested the transformation of old sanctuary of Goraksha ( a well known divinity ) of Gorakhpur into a mosque. Notwithstanding, on Akbars revamping of the realm, Gorakhpur (Uttar Pradesh) gave its name to one of the five Sirkars involving the territory of Avadh.
Current period was set apart by the exchange of this district by the Nawab of Avadh toward the East India Company in 1801. With this cession, Gorakhpur was raised to the status of a Locale. The main gatherer was Mr. Routledge. In 1829, Gorakhpur was made the central command of a Division of a similar name, including the regions of Gorakhpur, Ghazipur and Azamgarh. Mr. R.M. Biad was first delegated Commissioner.